The mobile marketing revolution has become a global sensation, though for whatever reason Australia has lagged behind in utitlising mobile technology – until now. Australia is finally catching up and starting to take full advantage of everything that mobile marketing has to offer. In 2011, Google reported that Australia went from being miles behind in the “smartphone revolution” to now leading it.
What does this mean for your business? That the time to get in on the “smartphone revolution” is now.
Why You Need a Mobile Marketing Campaign
Did you know that Australia has the second highest smartphone penetration in the world, just falling a short distance behind Singapore? Almost everyone has a mobile device, and almost everyone is using it to shop. 95% of Australian smartphone users have said that they have used their phones to find information about local businesses in the area, and 88% have said that they used the information they found to take action (like make a purchase) within 24 hours (Google/Ipsos, 2011).
Mobile transactions are only continuing to increase, too. PayPal Australia reported in 2010 that mobile transactions had increased by 25% per month, meaning that more people are making purchases with their phones and mobile devices than ever before (PayPal Australia, 2011). Google reported in 2011 that 74% of mobile phone users are making purchases online (Google/Ipsos, 2011). When you consider how many people in Australia have a mobile phone, this number is huge.
Here are some other interesting stats from that same Google and Ipsos 2011 study that backs up the need for companies to leverage mobile marketing:
- 27% of smartphone users who find a business of interest with their phones will call the business.
- 35% will click on or visit a mobile advertiser’s site.
- 42% of smartphone users who see a mobile ad will click on it.
How do Mobile Apps Fit Into Online Marketing
Australians are consuming more apps than almost any other country, having 25 apps per phone on average (the UK and the USA have, on average, 23). This is great news for Australian-based businesses who are looking to create more exposure for their company. There are a number of benefits to having a mobile app for your business, such as:
Use your App to Access your Site
This is particularly important for anyone who doesn’t have a “mobile friendly” website yet. Mobile users absolutely hate visiting any site that forces them to zoom in, zoom out, and navigate through pages of information to get to where they want to go. An app simplifies this whole process. With just one quick click visitors are then taken to exactly where they want to go and where you want them to be.
Use your App as a Promotional Tool
Whether it’s a new product or service, or a blow out sale, or a great blog article that you want to share, your app can make these things easy to share with your visitors. Apps are easy to update and create shareable content with, which means that you’re then able to further penetrate the market and reach more potential leads and customers with your app.
Use your App to Partner with Other Companies
Networking and hooking up with other companies in your area or that are of a similar niche is a great way for both you and the other company to get more visitors and increase your mobile market penetration. Start off by writing out a list of local businesses and/or online companies that you think may be a good partnership, and map out some ideas of how you can both work together to increase each other’s profits.
Create Mobile Apps for Different Needs
The great news is that you don’t have to be web savvy to create mobile apps; you can hire people to do it for you, and for less than you probably think. There are a number of different types of apps and formats that you can take advantage of to help increase your mobile marketing campaign. Some of the most popular apps that you can find right now include:
• Locator Apps: Have multiple business locations or websites? With one easy click anyone who has downloaded your app will be able to find all of the locations, including the nearest location, of your company or store based on a suburb or postcode search
• Media Gallery App: If you have a number of products and services, then strongly consider including a media gallery app to your online marketing campaign. You can showcase a number of your products and services or introduce your team members – the possibilities are endless
• Property Sales and Property Rentals App: If you’re in the real estate market, then these two apps are a “must have”. Never has it been so easy for agents to show off some of the hottest properties for sale and for rent. These apps allow you to not only have multiple images of the properties available, but you can also add in detailed descriptions and contact information as well.
• Book Service App: The easier you make it for customers to get in touch with you, the more likely they’ll employ your business. The Book Service app, created specifically for anyone working in the automotive industry, allows users to quickly book a service appointment any time, anywhere
These are just the beginning of the apps that are available for businesses like yours to use. Check out some of the several options that are available for you to use to create mobile apps by clicking on the “Features” tab at the top of the page.